Day three of three in Campbellsford, Ontario. I spell it differently every day and I’m not sure I got it right yet. So much for my second career as a reporter.

Weather forecast today is rain. The forecast for the past month has been rain. The amount of water up here is incredible–this is as high of water as they have seen in a century and more keeps coming. Lots of sandbags for the lucky ones, lots of buildings in the water for the not so lucky. The current is running hard. Against us, unfortunately. We don’t need more rain. All of the other Great Loop boats left either yesterday or today, rain be damned. We are weak. We did the rain/boat thing in Erie. Don’t have to today and the night is paid for on the wall, so we are staying!! I’m liking the no timetable.

First up on my agenda is a car rental. I ordered a spare prop when we were in Trenton and the overnight shipping which should have gotten it in last Saturday finally took and the propeller arrived on Wednesday. It is a forty minute drive (to cover the same distance it took us two days to do in our boat) and we have this rain day so I asked the visitors center if there was a car rental place in town and they gave me a name (Lew) and a phone number. I called, Lew answered and said he had a car and would come pick me up.

Lew owns a car repair shop in Campbellsford. He has lived here his entire life and got his shop from his dad and all three of this children work in the shop. One son runs it, one son does the painting, the daughter does the artwork. His wife runs the office. And his seriously obese dog lays on the carpet. A family affair. Lew collects old cars and I got a tour of what he had in the shop. Work is really just a way to get ‘new’ cars into his shop so he can rebuild them. Travels all over Canada and the United States with his wife in his truck with a trailer to either attend vintage car and/or motorcycle or to go buy and haul back his latest find. As he says, he is the boss; he has his son to run the day to day operation so he can focus on the big picture. The place was humming when we walked through it.

I took off and got the propeller which pretty much means we won’t break one the entire trip. Had I not gotten the spare, we would have certainly broke one in the most desolate and inconvenient spot imaginable.

AJ and Jan were doing schooling while I was gone, upon return we headed off to a local cheese factory where we FINALLY got some good, fresh, squeaky cheese curds. Ate the whole bag. We found out later how the locals tell if it is going to be good curd.

  1.  Must be for sale outside of a refrigerator.  If hit is in a fridge, it is old.
  2. Must be made that day.

After we returned the car, we hit a local bookstore to replenish AJ’s stock of reading material, back to the boat for Indian food and AJ and I went to see Captain Underpants at the local theater.

Tomorrow the plan is to actually move someplace. Though there are a TON of boats that have arrived this afternoon; we may have another traffic jam at the locks.