Start: Waupoos Marina, Ontario, Canada, 0700
End: Sandy Cove, Bay of Quinte, Ontario, Canada, 1420
Total Distance: 41.0 miles
Time: 7:30
Average Speed: 5.2 kts

Word of the day today is teamwork.

After six weeks on this boat we may be getting something correct. This morning we left our marina at 7am for a 40+ mile trip to an anchorage someplace in Canada. The weather called for NW winds 9mph with some gusts. We would be going 10 miles into the wind and then turning and spending the rest of the 30 miles running with the wind; seemed ideal. So we puttered out, Endeavor fell in behind us and off we went.

The wind then picked up and after 2-3 miles we were rolling up and down continual waves. Not real big, but a lot of them all in a row. And our *&@)# mast decided that now would be a good time to try to rock off the mounts. Which gets us back to teamwork. Jan went up front to see what the heck was happening and then came back because getting under a couple hundred pound mast was not going to happen. So she took over driving the boat while I went to fix the supports.

Let me jump back in time 3-4 years ago. Jan and I went to San Diego to live on a boat and learn to sail together. Half way through the week we were out in the Bay, Jan was steering and the boat didn’t immediately go where she wanted it to go. So she turned more. Then turned back, Then a flurry of wheel turning at which point she stepped away from the wheel, threw her hands in the air and proclaimed that she would never drive a boat again. Which held true until last year. Knowing we were going on this trip, we figured it would be in our best interest for both of us to know how to do everything on the boat. Just in case. So we hired a captain to come on our boat and teach us about sailing a catamaran. And she made Jan drive the boat, back the boat, maneuver the boat even though that was the LAST thing Jan wanted to be doing. But it worked–confidence began to build. And on this trip we both have been driving our boat.

Now back to today. Jan is at the wheel and I’m running around like a chicken with its head cut off. We communicated frequently about what needed to be done and Jan steered the boat through the waves, then turned and ran with the waves so I could fix the issues, and then turned back into the wind/waves and got us around the point to calmer waters. Without missing a beat. It was fantastic. So while it sucked that the first two hours of our day were no bueno, we are starting to take problems in stride, instead of going into vapor lock. AJ slept through the whole thing.

The rest of the day was fantastic. It is a gorgeous day here. Sunny and cool. We arrived at Sandy Cove at 2:30. The anchorage was perfect. 10’ feet of clear water, right next to a park with running trails and silty bottom for the anchor to hold. It was only about 72 degrees and the water was cold, but the sun was out and shining, the wind had died–it was great and AJ was in the water swimming in about 10 seconds. I took lucky to shore to run in a park and he got some off leash time. Which he used to roll in a dead animal. Or poop. Or a dead animal that took a poop as it died and he rolled in both. HE STUNK! So he and I went back to the boat to get soap, and on our way back to shore for a bath, Lucky (who has a horrible habit of hanging off the side of the dinghy) slipped off the side of the boat and went into the water. Saved me the trouble of the initial bath.

Rest of the afternoon was spent swimming and reading on the deck. Don/Peg came over at 5pm for a 5 handed game of Quiddler. Then relax for the rest of the night. Tomorrow short trip to Trenton, ON for a couple days and then the beginning of the Trent-Severn Waterway.

We get questions from people occasionally–thought I’d put one or two down and provide answers as we go along.

Bo asked “Hey Jim. Curious as to when you can get the Mast back up..? Does it have to remain down as you navigate all the Lakes?” Great questions. The mast will stay down until we get through the Trent Severn Waterway. We arrive at the beginning of the TSW tomorrow and it is 240 miles long. We aren’t going to go very fast, so it will probably take us a month to get through the system and at the end, the mast goes back up (gets ’stepped’) so that we can sail through the Georgian bay (when we can) and down Lake Michigan. While a month seems like a long time, while we are on the TSW, we won’t (or SHOULD’T) see any waves like we had this morning or yesterday which is where our stress come into play. Once we get to Chicago, our mast comes down again so we can get through (under) the bridges in Chicago and along the river ways. Plan (as of today) is to ship our mast from Chicago to Mobile, Alabama, where it gets put back on the boat again.

Our second question of the day comes from our cat, Sid.  Sid was laying around today, as he does for 23 hours out of every day, when he noticed that he was the only living thing on board (not including spiders/insects and other microscopic creatures) that didn’t have a life jacket.  Jim, AJ and Lucky always have theirs on.  Jim because he is clumsy and can pitch into the water at any given moment.  AJ because the law says he has to.  Lucky because he enjoys spending time on the deck, no matter the conditions and a bright orange jacket is the easiest way to find him (though he is getting plump from eating the cat food and not exercising, so it looks like a bright orange string squeezing  fat sausage in the middle).  Jan has hers in hands reach when sitting in the cockpit, and on her when she moves forward.  But Sid?  Nothing on board.  So why, Sid wants to know, doesn’t he have a life vest?  Curious.

And we know what curiosity did to the cat…