Boaters, and maybe it is just sailboaters, seem to have a more laid back attitude than say, the military. Or a hospital. Which causes us some stress when we expect things to run like a military operation. We found this our right up front in our sailing careers when we went to San Diego to learn to sail. We lived aboard a Catalina 30 for a week and on the first day we got there, our instructor told us he would be back for instruction about 9:30 in the morning. Or 10. To us, this was the ultimate in laziness! Why wait until 9:30 when we were up at 5am?!? Turns out, 0930 is when the winds begin to show up, so why get there early. This was going to take some adjustment–fitting our plans to what the weather and conditions will allow, basing our plans on an arbitrary schedule.

This transition has been hard. We are in week three of not working and we still get up at 6am. We write out our little lists of things to do and we knock them all out and chafe just a bit when the weather does not accommodate.

However, there is hope that we are beginning to bend and adjust to this new way of life. As an example, last week our project was to put a bottom coat of paint on our boat. We looked at the weather window and instead of trying to jam the project into our schedule (which would have led to painting on Monday in the freezing cold), we looked at the weather and waited until the conditions supported the project. Friday the highs were forecasted to be in the mid-60s, lows in the high 50s and Saturday highs in the 70s. Perfect for painting. So we focused on the house early in the week and on Friday readied ourselves for the paint job.

Friday morning was cold. 32 degrees at wakeup and cloudy. Fortunately we had an appointment with our realtor to sign the paperwork for the house so the earliest we could get out of the house was 1100. bad wether round 2
In our previous life, we (actually I) would have stressed about not being at the yard first thing in the morning to get the painting done! But this is the ‘New Jim.’ Realtor departed and since is was still only 45 degrees, we decided to make our lunch at home and relax to see if it would warm up a bit. Got to the marina at 1230 and it was spitting rain, still less than 50 degrees and wind was howling. But the sun was trying to break through. We had a decision: Push to the boat to start work and stay on the schedule in my brain, or wait a bit for conditions to improve. We made the tough call. We went to the local tavern and sat down for a beverage. Then checked the weather. It was getting sunny but still a bit brisk. So we had another beverage. And checked the weather. And amazingly enough, the sun was out, the temperature was over 50 and trending up and the wind dying down. Perfect conditions. Managed to tape and slap on a new coat of bottom paint, were home by 5pm and weren’t at all miserable! Who says old dogs can’t learn new tricks!!